Plosive, EQ, and Level Issues
Here’s the problem: A live-event recording has a severe plosive issue, sounds muddy, and is under level, which makes the uneven dynamic range problematic.
Using iZotope RX7, the following repairs were applied:
- EQ: Rolled-off top and bottom end using steep HPF around 100Hz and a LPF at 16kHz (typical starting point for repair work)
- De-plosive: Applied several passes of heavy de-plosive effect
- Spectral repair: Selectively applied spectral repair attenuate effect to remaining plosive problem areas
- De-click and De-crackle: Applied passes of these effects to mitigate remaining distortion areas
- EQ: Cut a few dBs from lower mid-range around 200Hz, boosted upper mid-range around 3-4kHz
- Voice de-noise: Applied 3dB of noise reduction to help clean up the audio
- Using Audacity: Applied compression 3:1 ratio at around -12dB.